Monday, July 20, 2009

Hummingbirds & Sunflowers



The monsoon rains have begun and for some reason this year the wild sunflowers have begun to bloom early. I can't remember ever seeing sunflowers in July! They are definitely not at their peak, and hopefully there will be a "peak" even with this early bloom. The Rufous hummingbirds have also made their appearance and I caught a few good shots of them guarding the feeders outside the window. We don't seem to have as many of them at our feeders this year, but my neighbor, Phyllis, has zillions of them I guess they are all hanging out at her place. Speaking of neighbors, we have some new ones and last night we had a small pot luck at our house. I made pasta with Sicilian sausage, Theresa brought a delicious salad, most of it fresh from her garden and Phyllis brought a homemade lemon meringue pie - only my favorite! It was all delicious, especially the pie. Maybe that is how she's keeping the hummingbirds around her house?

No comments:

Post a Comment